This post may contain affiliate links. This means I get a small commission for purchases made through links in this post at no additional cost for you.
Find out about the meaning of the root chakra and how you can heal it when it got out of balance.
Root Chakra Overview:
Sanskrit name: Muladhara
Location: at the base of the spine, tailbone
Characteristics: security, belonging, safety
Meaning Of The Root Chakra
The root chakra is the first of the seven chakras sitting at the base of our spine, the tailbone.
It deals with the very basic survival needs every living being has: the sense of security and belonging.
At the same time, it represents our primal fears: not having enough resources and isolation from others/our community.
Root Chakra Healing
This chakra is affecting all the other chakras. Before we don’t have a sense of security in the world, we will find it hard to express the energy in other chakras.
When we’re constantly living in fear and anxiety (fight-flight-freeze response), we hold ourselves back in all other areas of life as well.
This could lead to overwhelm, lethargy and being afraid of external unexpected changes.
Coping mechanisms like overeating or undereating might come into play.
Hoarding is likely as well because the scarcity mindset is very active. We constantly fear that we don’t have the resources we need to survive.
Below I’ve listed 9 ways to heal your root chakra. Go with the themes that resonate most with you. Where you feel a spark of inspiration.
The characteristics of a healed root chakra are, that we feel energized and in tune with life.
We feel anchored and grounded in the Earth and with nature.
Our body feels like a safe temple to experience life in. We are deeply grateful for the natural functions of our body and how it supports us throughout the different phase of our lives.
Our immune system is strong and we feel vital and healthy.
We don’t just feel like we belong in our body but we’ve also found a strong support system outside of us (this can be everything: close friends, family members, The Universe, religion, animals, local communities, neighbors,…). Everything/everyone who makes you feel safer in this world.
A healed root chakra also means a healed relationship with money and materialistic resources.
Signs Of Imbalance
- Feeling restless
- Difficulty to deal with change
- Feeling anxious a lot
- Insecure/low self-esteem
- Scarcity mindset
- Trouble with money
- Eating disorders
- Feeling physically weak over a longer period of time
- Showing behaviors of addiction
Signs Of Balance
- Secure within yourself and your body
- Strong immune system
- Feeling vital and full of energy
- Positive outlook on life
- Sense of belonging
- Feeling financially safe
- no difficulty to go with the natural changes of life
You can speak these affirmations whenever you feel out of control and unsafe in your daily life. Repeat them in your head or out loud if the situation allows.
- I am safe
- I am taken care of
- My needs are valid
- I am rooted
- I am protected and supported
- I belong
- I am grounded
- I am secure
- I am free of all worries
- All is well
- I am naturally worthy of love
- I am financially free
- I got everything I need
- I am anchored in nature
- I trust myself
- Right now, I am safe
- I am grounded in my body
- I am a home for myself
- Black Tourmaline: grounding, releasing blockages/negative energy
- Bloodstone: mood booster when feeling unmotivated, gets your energy moving
- Black Obsidian: release of mental drain, protection, grounding
- Red Jasper: stability, courage, energy booster, vitality, determination
- Red Garnet: moving stagnant energy, overcoming fears and anxiety, connects you with your passions
- Cedarwood: calming, soothing, comforting, warm
- Sandalwood: reducing anxiety and mood swings, grounding, relaxing
- Vetiver: reducing anxiety, anger and stress, calming
- Black Pepper: warming, energizing, stimulating
- Patchouli: increases confidence, mood booster, balancing
- Cypress: reducing anxiety, refreshing, energizing
Journaling brings our deepest thoughts on paper and out of our heads. Take your time to answer the questions below to discover which root chakra theme causes your unbalance and how you can change the situation for the better.
- In which moments do I feel grounded?
- When do I feel restless?
- When do I have the biggest sense of belonging?
- How can I better deal with change?
- What/who makes me feel supported?
- What does “home” mean to me?
- How can I create a home within myself?
- How can I increase my time in nature?
- Do I feel like I have enough? Can I feel contentment in my current situation?
- Do I feel like I am constantly running out of important resources (like money, food, material goods)?
You can incorporate these yoga poses in your yoga flow routine to build a connection to your root chakra and to move stagnant energy in that area.
Standing/Sitting Forward Fold
A general saying is to eat the colors of the rainbow, which align with the colors of each chakra. To balance your root chakra, you can eat all red fruit and vegetables as well as all root vegetables.
- Blood orange
- Pink grapefruit
- All root vegetables
- Red pepper
- Red potatoes
- Red cabbage
- Red onions
Frequency: 396 Hz
For Sound healing, you can use singing bowls holding the root chakra frequency or chant the mantra LAM in your meditation practice.
There’re also quite a few videos on YouTube with the frequency of the root chakra as well as sound bathing:
What is your favorite way to cleanse your root chakra? Let me know in the comments.
Stay In Contact
Pin it for later