This post may contain affiliate links. This means I get a small commission for purchases made through links in this post at no additional cost for you.
Sanskrit name: Vishuddha
Characteristics: communication, truth, self-expression, inspiration
Meaning Of The Throat Chakra
The throat chakra is the fifth of the seven chakras located in the neck area around the throat.
It’s about living life with honesty. Speaking up for yourself and not shying away from the truth. You know what feels true to you and you can clearly communicate that to the outside world.
Healing The Throat Chakra
When the throat chakra is out of balance, we feel like we don’t live aligned with our truth. Something is restricting us from authentically expressing ourselves.
This can be the result of being afraid to communicate our boundaries to others, speak up for ourselves, stay quiet when something is bothering us or just in general are afraid to face opposing views when we share our thoughts.
We want to fit, so we put on a mask and tell people exactly what they want to hear from us to be liked.
We neglect out truth/our values to not feel excluded.
In the cases above it’s common that when we speak, we do that with a voice that is avoiding conflicts at all costs.
In communication, the other person is mostly leading the conversation and we are often on the listening side.
But the imbalance can also show itself in the opposite way.
That’s the case when we are talking all the time in conversations and don’t let the other part say just one thing.
We are so focused to share all our opinions that we don’t even care who we talk to.
We somehow force the other person to be the listener.
When other people talk, we often lose focus on what they say because we already think about the next thing we want to bring into the conversation.
This can even lead to interrupting our conversation partner mid-sentence.
Another form of imbalance is gossiping.
Talking negatively about someone behind their back is a sign of undealt things that bother us within ourselves.
Having other people reflect that back at us can cause things coming to the surface we so desperately try to avoid.
But there’s a huge chance for us to ask ourselves what exactly bothers us so much about the other person and where we can find that behavior in ourselves.
It’s also possible that they remind us of past versions of us that we find hard to look at from our now-perspective.
In some cases, the imbalance may stem from growing up with the feeling that our words don’t matter.
That our opinion isn’t valid, not considered or dismissed. Dealing with those feelings over a long period of time affects us in adulthood as well.
We feel like our opinions are less worth than the ones of people who carry themselves with confidence.
Below, I’ve listed 9 ways to heal your throat chakra. Go with the themes that resonate most with you.
Signs Of Imbalance
- Fear of speaking
- Shy, quiet voice
- Creating a lot of misunderstandings
- Low concentration/attention span
- Talking all the time but never listening
- Listening all the time but never talking
- Interrupting others while they speak
- Not communicating your opinions/worldviews
- Over-reacting instead of trying to understand opposing views
The characteristics of a healed throat chakra are that we aren’t afraid to express ourselves.
We have a good understanding of who we are and how to share that with the world.
We speak our minds no matter who is with us.
We also have a great tolerance for how other people express their personalities without any judgment.
It’s easy for us to put our mind into words and verbalize what’s going on inside of us.
We stick with the truth even if it hurts in the first place – not afraid to not fit other people’s expectations but rather living life true to who we are.
Inevitably this will lead to facing opposing views and people who lack to understand our journey.
The art of life is to move past that initial discomfort but then live an authentic life. No one is as affected as we are when it comes to life decisions.
Others will way quicker adapt to our new way of living than we to a life that’s not ours.
Signs Of Balance
- Listen when others speak
- In conversations, everyone has an equal amount of talking time
- Speaking with truth
- You only have good things to say about others and yourself
- Being very imaginative
- Expressing yourself verbally without restriction
You can speak these affirmations whenever you feel disconnected from your truth and have difficulty speaking up for yourself. Repeat them in your head or out loud if the situation allows.
- I speak my truth
- I stand behind my words
- I speak with clarity
- My voice is heard
- I speak up for myself
- My words count
- I listen carefully when others speak
- I live an authentic life
- I express who I am freely
- My opinions are as valid as anyone else’s
- I share my unique way of seeing the world
- I live a life that’s aligned with my truth
- Aquamarine: courage to speak up, speaking with calm confidence, clear mind, creativity
- Turquoise: inner calm, accepting of self and others, truthful communication, balancing all 7 chakras
- Angelite: communication with higher realms/beings, telepathy, deep inner peace, enhances psychic gifts, aid in challenging times
- Blue Calcite: creates a peaceful atmosphere, can be used in challenging conversations, gives your words even more impact/emphasis, increased imagination and inspiration, meaningful and vivid dreams
- Sodalite: putting your inspirations into action, communicating your emotions clearly
- Azurite: communicating with your higher self, channeling messages, used to increase psychic abilities, clear mind
- Apatite: deeper understanding of why your life unfolded in the way it did – seeing and understanding the meaning, releasing patterns that run in the family, provides ambition to pursue your dreams
- Blue Lace Agate: speaking your truth around others, increases the effect of affirmations, releasing the attachment to what other people think of you, confidence to express yourself
- Rosemary: keeps bad dreams away, purifies your space, better memory
- Sage: releasing negative energy, aligns mind, body and soul
- Cedarwood: creates a relaxing environment, calming the chatter of the mind, soothing in stressful times
- Lime: energizing, self-esteem, uplifting
Journaling brings our deepest thoughts on paper and out of our heads. Take your time to answer the questions below to discover which throat chakra theme causes your unbalance and how you can change the situation for the better.
- Do I have difficulties sharing my true opinions with others?
- What are my favorite ways to express myself?
- Do I speak up when someone treats me or others poorly?
- Do I stand behind my truth when I’m with others?
- In which areas of my life, I don’t feel heard or recognized?
- Do I gossip a lot? If yes, what is the other person reflecting back at me? What in myself am I avoiding or even pushing away?
- Reflecting on past conversations, who did most of the talking? Did the situation feel equal? Did you show interest in what the other person said and did they do the same with you?
- How can I improve the dynamics in the conversations I lead? Am I more the talker or the listener? How can I bring more balance into my interactions?
Lord Of The Fishes
A general saying is to eat the colors of the rainbow, which align with the colors of each chakra.
- Blue grapes
- Purple Cabbage
Frequency: 741 Hz (Solfeggio)
For Sound healing, you can use singing bowls holding the throat chakra frequency or chant the mantra HAM in your meditation practice. Singing is also a good way to activate your throat chakra.
There’re also quite a few videos on YouTube:
Find a comfortable position. Close your eyes.
Imagine a deep blue light circle in the center of your neck.
With each breath you take the circle gets bigger and bigger and the blue light becomes clearer and brighter.
Grow the circle with your breath until your whole neck is filled with blue radiant light.
Hold the circle for a couple of minutes and feel how its light is cleansing the energy in your throat chakra.
All words of dishonesty and masks you’ve lived out for others get washed away by the strong blue light you’ve created. You live on embodying your truth.
In addition, you could combine this visualization technique with chanting the mantra HAM, speaking the affirmations from above or listening to the throat chakra frequency.
Repeat this practice whenever you feel like your voice isn’t heard or appreciated during your day.
What is your favorite way to bring your throat chakra back to balance? Tell me in the comments!
Stay In Contact
Pin it for later